Tuesday 26 February 2013

Pear and Almond Steel-Cut Oats in a Slow-Cooker - Wake up to a Warm, Perfectly- Cooked, Healthy Breakfast!

I don't know about you, but I often find it difficult to eat a healthy breakfast. I usually only leave myself enough time to toast a piece of bread and make an instant coffee...not exactly the best (or most exciting) start to the day. I started to think about ways I could eat a healthier breakfast without having to sacrifice those precious moments in bed when you are still sleepy but awake enough to feel the bamboo sheets on your skin (because I know myself and I know that if a healthy breakfast means no bamboo sheet time, then I will likely be eating dry toast forever). During my search for a better way, I came across some recipes for steel-cut oats cooked in a slow-cooker overnight and I thought I would try it out because, well,  it's kind of a brilliant idea! Over the past week, I have made Apple Pie Oatmeal, Mixed Berry Oatmeal, Pear and Almond Oatmeal, Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, and Banana Bread Oatmeal. Below, I have documented the Pear and Almond Oatmeal...it literally takes less than 5 minutes to prepare.

Pear and Almond Steel-Cut Oats in a Slow-Cooker




Serves 2

1/2 cup steel-cut oats
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 pears cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup dried cranberries
large pinch of cinnamon (optional)
1/4 cup brown sugar or maple syrup (you can use less or none at all if you prefer)
Milk for serving if you like

Grease the slow-cooker (make sure you do this). Put ingredients in a slow-cooker. Set it to cook for six  hours on low. Most slow-cookers will automatically shift to a Keep Warm setting so you will have warm oatmeal when you wake up!

(Every slow-cooker is different...if you find that the oatmeal is too runny for your liking...cook it for 6.5 hours next time...if it's too dry, cook it for less time.)





So easy...just put it all in the slow-cooker and stir.





and...8 hours later...woohoo! It comes out caramelized on top...yum!






Yum!

Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment