Wednesday 2 January 2013

My resolution: Getting organized 30 Minutes at a Time

Every year I make New Year’s resolutions, and every year, I break them.  I don’t want that to happen this year, so in keeping with the theme of my posts, I decided to pick one goal for the year and tackle it in 30 minute chunks.  That seems pretty reasonable!

This is going to be a busy year for us, preparing for and welcoming a new baby.  So, my resolution is to get (and stay) organized.  There’s at least one corner of every room in our house that could use some organizing savvy; and hopefully, if I chunk the work and move through these spaces one at a time, I will be less likely to abandon my goal.
The first space on my list was the shelf in our entrance closet.  As you can see – it was a disaster!!!


That’s not exactly the first impression you want to give guests!
First I had a quick peek through what was there and then headed out to find some baskets (the shopping trip did not count against my 30 minute rule) and found 3 perfect-fit ones at Canadian Tire - $30 for the set.
Then I emptied the shelf and divided the items into 3 piles: mine, his, and miscellaneous.


I organized the items and paired up the mitts, gloves, etc.  Then, I weeded out a few things for donations.


In order to keep the gloves and mitts together, I decided to use binder clips to join them. 


Fortunately, everything fit into the baskets!
 Then, with some cardstock, my label maker and some ribbon, I made and attached some simple labels.



I think you’ll have to agree that the shelf looks much more presentable now!  Thirty mintues, thirty dollars, and I feel inspired enough to tackle another space!



~ Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment